(NOV 12) At first glance a new
AIBA competition exclusively for Male boxers may not seem of
much interest to WBAN and its readers yet WBAN understands from
usually reliable sources in Korea that this newly launched
competition may well have significant implications for women
boxers, albeit not immediately.
WBAN understands that among the items under discussion at the
Annual Congress were a possible increase in number of weights
for women not only in the Olympics but also in major
International events like the World Championships and of course
Continental Federation titles too.
There has long been a complaint from the 'amateurs' that womens
bouts, like those of their male colleagues, should be of three
minutes each round.
Much disquiet too that in AIBA International competitions such
as the Olympic Games and World Championships, men are now
required to wear headguards to protect them from bad cuts or
possibly worse injuries yet women and juniors are not allowed.
It is expected that during the course of these Women's Worlds
there are likely to be further announcements from the AIBA which
will - most likely - confirm that women's bouts will be of three
minutes each round.
(c) AIBA -AIBA
President Dr Ching-Kuo Wu addressing the AIBA Congress in Jehu
it is also believed that AIBA
President Wu will say that the International Boxing Association
is about to change its 'headguards' rule for men and will be
seriously looking at their removal soon from women's events.
That though may require further medical studies. There are
unlikely to be any changes insofar as Youths/Juniors are
He is also likely to indicate that the AIBA will be seriously
considering an increase of weights for Women boxers, not just in
the Olympic Games but in all major competitions inc future
women's world and continental federation championships.
Later, on the headguards subject, speaking to 'USA Today'
/Associated Press, Dr Wu said:
"We are certainly looking into the possibility and once we feel
comfortable about removing head guards for men, we will have
tests for women," Wu added. In terms of the weights issue,Dr Wu
told the agency that the International Boxing Association would
also be looking at increasing number of women's weight from the
existing three up to 51,60 and 75kg but gave no clear indication
as to how many might be possible.
Clearly in terms of say the Olympics that would involve serious
discussion with the I.O.C. WBAN readers will recall that
last week we suggested that boxers and coaches in Jeju should
raise the subjects of women's weights for the Olympics and other
topical subjects with the AIBA either before or immediately
after the boxing in Jeju and that we again repeat today.
It is of the utmost importance that Dr Wu and the AIBA take the
opportunity of addressing directly its members, boxers and
coaches, and explains EXACTLY what is planned and in what
Remember too that though the boxers and coaches are in Jeju
there are literally thousands of women boxers, young and young
at heart, who are 'back home' and unable to ask questions for
themselves. They too are the future of women's boxing and thus
those fortunate enough to be in Jeju representing their country
will clearly wish to take into consideration those that follow
them in their quest for Olympic and World glory. Dr Wu we know
has always expressed his sincere desire to see women's boxing
prosper and what better opportunity for him and the AIBA than
here in Jeju to speak DIRECTLY to the boxers and officials and
address their concerns and queries.
After all it is the boxers who make the AIBA the organisation
that it is and it is only right that the AIBA should not allow
them to leave Jeju with important questions remaining
So WBAN feels quietly confident that on the occasion of the 8th
AIBA Women's Worlds, Dr Wu and his Executive will brief the
world's finest boxers as to what the future - their future and
those of others who follow - holds in store.
Over to you, Dr Wu.
AIBA Press Release read:
Boxing leaders from all around the world are set to pass a
unanimous motion in support of the launch of the AIBA Pro Boxing
The new competition, launched by the International Boxing
Association (AIBA), features 80 of the world’s best boxers
competing in an unprecedented top-class individual ranking-based
format of Pro Boxing.
APB was launched in October 2014 as the top tier of all AIBA
competition programs, following AIBA Open Boxing (AOB) and the
World Series of Boxing (WSB).
APB aims to bring boxing back into a mainstream position in the
world of sports by taking into account the needs of fans and
providing a top quality, highly entertaining and easily
understood kind of Pro Boxing. APB’s structure aims to provide
fans with regular fight-cards in multiple markets.
APB has a merit-based and comprehensive ranking system, with
transparent and fair professional judging, and it epitomizes
boxing performance at its best with a full long-term Athlete
Development approach – from grassroots to pro – to help identify
the world’s true boxing champions.
The heads of AIBA’s 196 National Boxing Federations will also
pass a unanimous resolution in support of the removal of
headguards for Men competing in elite competition.
The Congress is meeting in advance of the 2014 Women’s World
Championships, also taking place in Jeju, starting this weekend.